British arrived in False Bay in July 1795 under the pretext as caretakers
of Dutch business as Napoleon was overrunning Europe. They took
control of the Cape settlement on 16 Sept 1795 after the British
troops, supported by gunfire from their ships, swept up the coast
small farming area of Wynberg developed rapidly into a garrison
town, as the British settled a large amount of troops in the area.
Being the halfway house between Table Bay and False Bay made it
an attractive village for commercial activity. Farmers now had a
new offset point for their produce besides the market in Cape Town.
Subdivision of farms took place and commercial as well as residential
properties were developed to supply the needs mostly of the military
camp but also travelers on the wagon road between the two bays.
Cape was returned to the Dutch in 1802, but the British took control
of the Cape again after the start of the Napoleonic Wars in 1806.
Wynberg military base was established in 1804 following the report
of a commission appointed to find a suitable base for the 'Hottentot
Corps'. The farm of one Alexander Tennant - De oude Wynberg - was
selected. This land was apparently so called as Jan van Riebeeck,
following his settlement on the farm Bosheuwel (now Bishopscourt)
in 1658, had planted vines here. In July 1685 the land came into
the possession of Governor Simon van der Stel, who six weeks later
transferred ownership to his eldest son, Adriaan. It was acquired
by Albert Coopman on 10 August 1701, who on the same day 'sold'
the land to Frans van der Stel, a younger son of the governor. From
1804 the military took increasing interest in this strategic location.
The rock behind 2 Military Hospital with an inscription recording
the dates when the 59th Regiment (2nd East Lancashire) formed part
of the Cape garrison: 1806, 1859-61, 1911-14.